A growing museum, incomparable library and statewide educational resource, Maine Historical Society is located in the heart of Portland’s downtown cultural district. Founded in 1822, Maine Historical Society is the third oldest state historical society in the United States.
Maine Historical Society includes the Wadsworth–Longfellow House and Longfellow Garden, the Maine Historical Society Museum and Store, the MHS Research Library and Maine Memory Network.
Selected Maine Historical Society images:
- Soldiers, North Yarmouth, 1942
- Portland Schools Americanization Classes, 1926
- James Fellows, Skowhegan, ca. 1898
- President Roosevelt visits Portland
- Signal flags, Portland Observatory, ca. 1810
- Herring weir at Sandy Island, Eastport
- Logging Camp, Upper Falls of Socatean River, 1888
- Threshing crew, Jewett Farm, 1913
- Florence Jewett, Norridgewock, ca. 1885
- George H. Jewett
- Suffrage lecture announcement, Belfast, ca. 1915
- Road opening celebration announcement, Gray, 1923